Sunday, January 22, 2012

known

copyright Tricia Larese 2012

This is a section of a painting I finished this week called, "Bodhichitta and Her Best Red Dress".

I sort of make a lot of art, and for many years, I just stashed that art in portfolios hidden in closets, in stacks of canvases in the garage, in boxes under the bed. Very occasionally I would give a piece to a family member, but generally I would just find a place to tuck it away.

I think I just considered art my hobby. Actually, I know I considered it that. And on some level it always felt a little sad. Because making art really isn't a hobby, it's a necessity. My life is grayer and plainer without it. It's a good thing in my life. Frankly, it keeps me happy and sane better any antidepressant could.

So, I'm done hiding it in closets or under beds. This year, I get my work "out there." I'm not totally sure what that means, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I'm a smart girl.

Do you make art? Do you hide it away? Does it feed you that way?

It did me for a long, long time. I'm ready for something different now.

~Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment